Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Pilot Review: Do Not Disturb (Formerly, The Inn)


Do Not Disturb
Fox. Wednesdays at 9:30.
Starring: Jerry O'Connell, Niecy Nash, Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Brando Eaton, Jolene Purdy, and Molly Stanton


So, I know I’ve only seen two pilots for next season so far, but I’m starting to seriously get worried about next years crop of new shows. Now, granted, two is a very small number. There are heaps more new shows next season. But I was majorly disappointed by Fringe, and now, with Do Not Distub, one of my reliable comedic performers has let me down. Niecy Nash, what happened here?

I should preface this by saying that I absolutely love Reno 911. I’ve never seen an episode where I’ve laughed out loud less than five times. I look forward to it each week. And Niecy Nash is so great on it. But, while she’s far and away the best thing about Do Not Distub, she is disappointing here. Her delivery is good, but the material sucks.

Which brings me to the biggest of Do Not Distub’s many problems: the material blows. I can see the actors trying to make the stereotypes and unfunny lines they’ve been giving work, but it’s hard to make gold out of a much suckier element, like boron. I’ve seen every character on this show before (many of them on shows that are still on the air), and they were all funnier before. While there’s the occasional line that registers a chuckle, overall, the lines and situations aren’t funny. The plot of the pilot, an overweight girl who works in reservations wants to work at the front desk, but she can’t because she’s fat and only rail thin model types can work the front desk, has no zip. It all just feels tired. Which is a really big problem when this is the first episode of your show.

That’s not to say that the pilot is a complete and utter trainwreck. Occasionally, the actors succeed in elevating their material. Nash, in particular, gets in a few good moments. And there’s some decent stuff from the rail-thin model type who works at the front desk. But Jerry O’Connell continues to underachieve as an actor, and everyone else just can’t sell the bad material. I really don’t blame them, I can see that they tried their hardest. But you can’t do much when what you’re given sucks. So, despite the effort that, I’ve got to suggest heeding the shows title. Sorry, Do Not Disturb, but I gotta give you:

Rating: Not Worth Your Time

0 comments: