Thursday, June 19, 2008

So You Think You Can Dance 6/19- Two More Go Home

Shane Sparks returns to choreograph tonight’s group routine, and while there’s a lot of cool to be had, I have to call him a little bit on placing the 4 best dancers in the style front and center and putting everyone else in the back basically doing nothing. But its still really cool. And it reminds me of what good hip-hop looks like on this show (Nothing against Katee and Joshua’s first week Napoleon and Tabitha hip-hop, I just didn’t think that routine was really hip hop). Cat welcomes our judges and Mary looks much better and less cougary than last night.

Immediately, our first three couples are brought out. Katee and Joshua are first, and I’m sure they’re gonna be safe because everyone loves them (and granted, I think only one or two other couples could have pulled off the corniness of that dance). They are, indeed, safe. Kherington and Twitch are next, and again, I’m sure they’re gonna be safe, since they were all kinds of beautiful and awesome last night. Cat puts them in a holding pattern while we get Chelsea and Thayne’s results. I’m not gonna be surprised if they’re in the bottom, because they weren’t all that great (Despite the fact that I like Chelsea a whole lot). Chelsea and Thayne are in the bottom, while Kherington and Twitch are safe. Mia’s not surprised and says America got it right. She tells them to set the stage on fire.

We come back and the next three couples are already on stage. Chelsie and Mark are up first, and I was all sorts of a fan of this dance (despite Chelsie’s maybe weakness maybe shoe malfunction), so I’m happy when they’re safe. But then they cut to the father Schwimmer holding that dumb electric sign for Chelsie and I’m upset, because I liked that pair and now I’m wondering if I should (Yes, THAT is how much I dislike the Schwimmer family). Kourtni and Matt are next and I liked their foxtrot, but Cat puts them on hold for Jessica and Will, who I thought were the worst of the night. One of the couples is in the bottom three, and that couple is, uh, neither, apparently. Yeah, they’re all safe. Cat, you adorable British trickster, you.

The final 3 couples are back on stage, and I think it’s pretty obvious to everyone that Susie and Marquis and Comfort and Chris will be in the bottom (because Courtney and Gev rocked it last night). Susie and Marquis get sent to the bottom three first, and Mary thinks that what happened to Susie and Marquis could happen to anyone. Chris and Comfort are, indeed, also in the bottom 3, meaning Courtney and Gev are rightfully safe. Nigel thinks he’s said everything he had to say, but is looking forward to seeing them in their own styles.

Cat brings Timo Nuñez on stage, who is apparently America’s foremost flamenco dancer. He’s not nearly as entertaining to watch as Poppin’ Pete was last week, since Flamenco seems to be a lot of very small foot movements, as opposed to overall body movement. It also, at least to me, seems like all of the entertainment value of the piece was supposed to be the fact that he was mostly shirtless. Here’s hoping next weeks legend of dance is more like week one than this.

It’s time for solos, but first we have to endure creepy Snuggle and the happy dancers. What’s interesting this week is that there appear to be some real dancers (or at least people who should think about auditioning for the show). Oh, and one awesome old lady, who does a great little shuffle.

SOLO TIME
Chelsea- Chelsea rocks it and is entertaining to watch. She really is a little ball of something on stage. I say something because I’m not sure if its sex or energy, or maybe, just maybe, energex (I like combination words too, Mia Michaels!)

Thayne- He’s got great extension and spins and looks like a really good contemporary dancer. Although it does seem like he was holding something back. Like he wasn’t going through will all his moves. I noticed it at least twice.

Susie- Susie is actually, surprisingly, pretty good. She’s energetic, and, most importantly, sexy. She may have actually been a little over the top on the sexiness. But color me impressed.

Marquis- Well, that was unexpected. Marquis kind of blows every solo out of the water, including Will’s awesome one from last week. He put his all out on that stage. Marquis could actually be a dark horse in this competition. Seriously, he rocked it. There was one ridiculously amazing flip into a sit. Just banoodles.

Comfort- She’s good, and there’s a bunch of really cool fluid movements, but, I dunno, I was kind of expecting a little more. She almost didn’t seem like she put her all into it.

Chris- He’s good, but not as good as Thayne or Marquis. There doesn’t seem to be that much there. I’m guessing Chris is going home.

It’s performance time, and this week, we have Flo Rida on our stage. He’s clearly lip-synching and his background dancers don’t seem to be doing much more than spinning in place, flailing their arms, and wearing booty shorts. This season on Gossip Girl, one character had a ridiculous line that I remember solely because of how ridiculous it was. She said, “All I want to do is study for the SATs and never hear Flo Rida again.” I understand what she meant. I mean, he’s not as atonal and screechy as that bunch of dancing prostitutes from last week, but he ain’t exactly good.

It’s cuttin’ time, and the girls are up first. First, Nigel wants to make a point to the girls about being great dancers but it doesn’t make any sense, because he’s using the NBA finals as a reference point and I don’t think he quite understood the game. Nigel tells Chelsea she has to step up, but she’s safe. Susie is next, and Nigel thinks she didn’t use the stage enough. Nigel thinks Comfort never found her potential, but they’re keeping her tonight, because they think she may still be nursing the injury, which means Susie is going home tonight. As I’ve said before, I’ve been calling her Susie “Cannon Fodder” Garcia, so this no surprise to me. She was better than I expected her to be, but she wasn’t good enough to make it much farther.

It’s the boys’ turn now, and it was unanimous. He thinks its weird that it’s three contemporary boys, but since there were like 6 of them, it’s not surprising to me. They think Thayne has potential but something’s not there yet, they think Marquis was all tricks tonight (the crowd and me both boo), and they think Chris danced with passion and personality (were they watching the same solo?). The boy going home tonight is Marquis and frankly, I think that’s BS. Marquis blew those other two out of the water tonight, and that was the wrong decision. I think they’re just afraid to break up the couples. Agree? Disagree? Other?

2 comments:

PAC said...

Marquis should have stayed. Whats with the 'trick's bit when Neil was doing a ton of tricks last season and Nigel loved it!! They are told to dance for their life!! Last week they weren't impresed with some who weren't doing all their 'tricks'. Then this week....Marquis danced for his life!! What was sad to see was when he told Marquis it was all tricks and then you see see Marquis tearing up.

Anonymous said...

I couldn't believe they sent Marquis home. Tricks? I think not. It was fluid, athletic and amazing. The closest thing we've seen to a Tidwell performance this year. Chris was a sad sack. This made ZERO sense.