Thursday, June 26, 2008

So You Think You Can Dance 6/26- Two More Dancers Say Goodbye

Cat looks like a Bavarian princess whose dress is slowly moving up her body to swallow her head. That may be a bizarre description, but I’m just calling it like I see it. Tonight’s group number is a Mia Michaels bizarre take on what seemed like Alice in Wonderland. This pains me to say since I love all things Mia Michaels, but this falls a lot more in the bizarre column than the brilliant/inspired/all sorts of awesome column. I dunno, but there was something that just wasn’t there for me. The audience seemed to agree, as there was no applause after the number ended. Mark absolutely shines though, partially because Mia seems to have hand picked him for the biggest role. And, while the editing was markedly better than the top 20 Nigel routine, it was still a little disjointed.

Tangent: Going into the show tonight, I’m betting on Jessica and either Thayne or Chris going home. It depends on which new power couple the show wants to form: Will and Chelsea T. or Will and Comfort.

The results start very quickly, and Chelsea and Thayne are up first, and I have no doubt about their place in the bottom three. They are, without any sort of drama attempted, sent to the bottom. Katee and Joshua are up next and they are gonna be safe, no question about it. So I’m utterly not surprised when they are safe. The final couple in the first group is Mark and Chelsie, who everyone (including me, kind of) loved last night, who are also, unquestionably safe.

Another Tangent: Not to toot my own horn or anything, but last season, something stood out to me about Sabra from day one (actually, it was from the top 20 intro happy dancers, but whatever). There was just something about her that imprinted her as one of my favorites from the second she hit the stage. Mark is that for me this year. I honestly think he is a serious, serious contender to win this thing. Anyone else feeling me on this?

As we come back, there are another three couples on stage. Kherington and Twitch are up first, and I was unimpressed by them last night. But I’m guessing they’ve got enough personality and already loyal fans to make it through a weak week (hehe, rhyming!). They are, in fact, safe. Courtney and Gev are up next, and they were great and the judges loved them, so again, I’m guessing safe. I also have to say that this couple is really growing on me. So I’m glad when they are decreed safe. Comfort and Chris, the lone couple left on stage, wowed me last night but apparently no one else, so I’m not surprised when they are shunted off to the bottom three to join Chelsea and Thayne.

We return with the final two couples, Kourtni/Matt and Will/Jessica on stage. I thought Kourtni and Matt were much better than Jessica and Will were, and the judges seem to agree with me, although both got good reviews. The final couple in the bottom three is Kourtni and Matt, which is surprising, since I had them as the second best of the night, and disco is usually a weak sauce style. Nigel expresses doubt in Kourtni’s personality and Matt’s performance. I disagree with Nigel on Matt though, since he says Matt doesn’t immerse himself in the dance but he absolutely did last night. I think Nigel just has something against Matt, continuing his streak of disliking the less masculine dancers (No offense to Matt, he’s a great dancer but he doesn’t exude masculinity).

It’s time for our weekly lesson in what is supposed to be truly great dance. This week, it’s Quest, what SYTYCD considers America’s Best Dance Crew (Take that Shane Sparks!). The crew has Hok, Ryan, and Dominic, so there’s a bunch of SYTYCD in loving going on. That, however, doesn’t detract from what is a mostly awesome routine. I say mostly awesome because it could have had a little more energy in spots for me. But, for the most part, it’s awesome.

I’m going to ignore the Snuggle Happy Dance videos in the hope that they go away. That is all.

Solo Time!
Chelsea- Chelsea has lots of beautiful spins, but her personality isn’t coming through to me. It kind of seems like your standard contemporary solo. Nothing extraordinary.

Thayne- Thayne makes the most of the big stage and seems pretty fluid, but his leaps are a little weak. But overall, he’s pretty darned good. He has to get rid of his perma-smile though.

Comfort- Comfort is really good in her style, there’s no doubt about that. She could have used the stage more, but her personality is visible and, as stated, she is good in her style. She should be worried though, because of how weak she’s been in other styles.

Chris- Ok, well, this is now the second straight week where Chris has come across as nothing more than a weaker version of Thayne. His movement is good, but Thayne’s was better. Chris should be worried. But I’m sure the judges will inexplicably love him again.

Kourtni- Kourtni lights up the stage, but I have the feeling that the judges are gonna call her for not doing a lot of dancing. Personally, I think she has the best solos of the girls.

Matt- Matt’s movement is different than Chris and Thayne’s and it’s a welcome refreshment to not have a contemporary boy just twirl and leap. I think he’s the best boy.

The musical guest tonight is Jordin Sparks, who seems to actually be happy to be there, interacting with the crowd. She doesn’t really exhibit anything like dance though. She stands there, and every so often walks a few paces. Still, though, she’s better than those atrocious, screechy dancing prostitutes and Flo Rida. Put Together. She’s also kind of endearing when she’s with Cat.

We come back and it’s eliminatin’ time. The girls are up first. Nigel tells all the couples in the bottom to step up their game because they need to get out of the bottom. They very quickly cut Chelsea, which I think is the wrong decision, because Comfort (who is a weaker overall dancer) is just going to end up in the bottom again and they’re gonna have to cut her next week. The boys are brought to center stage. Nigel quickly calls Matt forward and tricks him but tells him that he’s safe and he’s sorry for picking on him. It’s the end of the road for Chris tonight, which means next week ushers in Thayne and Comfort, which is likely to be a mismatch. Do people agree? Who should have gone tonight?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you about Mark (he is both unbelievably talented and endearing), but you should really look up the definition of rhyming (hehe).

Cecilia said...

Going into the results show, I thought it was going to be Jessica and either Thayne or Chris. I was so surprised that Matt and Kourtni were in the bottom three because their dance was one of the better ones of the night. I guess Nigel was right; some people just didn't understand it or something.

I'm really shocked that they sent home Chelsea, especially when they didn't give any reason as to why she was cut. The cuts all happened so quickly; I would have to liked to hear more constructive criticisms for Chris and Chelsea before they left.

MARK ALL THE WAY!!!! Although, I like Katee and Joshua a lot. I can't wait to see these three partnered with other people and see how they fare.

Anonymous said...

In total agreement with Mark.....I want him to win...he's just so different and endearing.

Anonymous said...

I agree that Comfort has to go. She's strong on hip-hop, but not strong enough to keep her around after three poor shows in as many weeks. I'm actually looking forward to seeing her dance with Thayne, but for all the wrong reasons. It's such a mismatch of styles, personalities, etc. that it should be a really entertaining train wreck.

Anonymous said...

this is the first time i have felt pretty sad over a dancer being eliminated =[

i love chelsea and i think comforts now just going to bring thayne down =[

John said...

"There was just something about her (Sabra) that imprinted her as one of my favorites from the second she hit the stage. Mark is that for me this year. I honestly think he is a serious, serious contender to win this thing. Anyone else feeling me on this?"

I didn't until last night. I was watching the performance show again on my computer (HD download), and I couldn't help notice that I was watching and studying Mark's performance more than anyone else's (including his partner). While Katee and Joshua are my favorite couple, I would pay to see Mark dance.

Sue B said...

Chelsea did a great solo and should have stayed. I would have cut Comfort, though I think they want to keep a b girl. I wanted Jessica out, b/c I thought the disco routine was weak, to be kind, and she does nothing for me, but that's not the producers' fault, it's America (whoever America is). I think Jessica or Comfort is gone next week. I am a big Mark and Matt fan.