Monday, June 2, 2008

Welcome Back: The Mole



Now, guys, I don’t want to worry you or anything, but I think I might have just peed myself a little. Now, I know you’re saying “Nate, pray tell, what momentous occasion has caused you to wet yourself on this day, the 2nd of June?”, to which I respond “How did readers from Victorian England access my blog?” and to which I secondarily respond “They’re Witches! Burn Them!”

Now, for all of you who are still reading and keeping up with my inanity, the real reason I may or may not have piddled a little bit is because tonight sees the return of my absolute, hands down favorite reality show (which, for past readers, they know means something, because I’m a reality junkie). Now, again, for readers who have, for some reason or another come back to this here blog, you may know how much I proclaim my love for “The Amazing Race”, “Rock of Love”, “MILF Island”, and other reality shows, but there is not a single reality show that I love more than “The Mole”.

Back when the Mole premiered for the first time, I was still kind of a youngun’. But, not to trumpet my own horn or anything, I was kind of brainy. I still loved TV then, but I loved TV in a brainier way than I do now (As anyone who has seen my love messages to VH1 can tell). And “The Mole” was perfect for me: a reality show that was as much, if not moreso, about smarts and cleverness than about being able to assemble a rotating puzzle to spell a dumb phrase after swimming, diving, claiming, and maybe killing a chicken (No offense Survivor). I was able to completely play along, my theories about the identity of the Mole always evolving, being proven wrong, being proven wrong again, etc. I absolutely loved the show, and Anderson Cooper’s hosting (which I’m sure Mr. Fancy Pants Newsman wants us all to forget) was great.

And then, after two regular seasons (one of which was pulled halfway through, thanks Commies over at ABC), I endured Celebrity Mole. Oh god, Celebrity Mole. If you weren’t a spinoff of one of what is probably my favorite shows of all time, I would hate you so much. You sucked. Majorly. God, Ahmad Rashad, you really sucked. Almost everything about you sucked, except for the basic premise.

Thankfully, though, ABC is bringing back The Mole with regular people. Now, Anderson is not hosting anymore, and I don’t know anything except that the new host, Jon Kelly, worked for Extra. But I do know that I’m super, super pumped (Even more pumped than I am for the I Love Money show on VH1). An Entertainment Weekly I got a few weeks ago had an ad for the mole with a clue that said “I Lie with my Eyes”. My pre-game money is either on the guy who wears glasses (Craig) or the girl who seems to have interesting eyes in the ad (Kristen). So I’m guessing at least one of those two goes home tonight. Expect a recap tonight. But it’d be even better if you watched it, since I want there to be another season because I’ll finally be old enough to apply.

0 comments: