Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Last Comic Standing: Who I'm Rooting For

So, I've been watching this season of Last Comic Standing. I'm not entirely sure why, since the most talented comedian never wins and one of the least talented usually does (cough cough Dat Phan). But now that we're down to the final 8 and I've gotten a sense of their comedic styles, here's my rundown, from least favorite to my favorite by far:

8) Ron G- This was really close with seven, and if Papa CJ hadn't just been eliminated, Ron G wouldn't have been on the bottom. But since he's never made me laugh and never proved to me why everyone's treating him like a big shot, he's on the bottom of the list. Oh, and being a sourpuss when having to face God's Pottery didn't help his cause.

7) Adam Hunter- Again, this is a comedian who I haven't really seen anything from. He's never really made me laugh either. So he places low on the list too.

6) Jim Tavare- I like his schtick, and I think he had the single best line in the prop challenge ("This is my stepladder. It's not my real ladder"). But I didn't think his "Yo Mama" jokes were THAT good.

5) Jeff Dye- This is where this list starts getting harder, since I really like all the comedians from this point on. Sure, he's young, but Jeff Dye is funny. His movie spoofs all worked well, and his Vegas bit about gym equipment was hilarious.

4) TIE- Marcus and Louis Ramey- I think that both these guys are absolutely hilarious. They’ve both slayed me with certain bits (Marcus’ Willy Wonka bit in particular). I haven’t fully connected to either of them yet though, but I recognize that these are two funny dudes.

2) Sean Cullen- I’m not normally a fan of those bombastic sorts of comics who deliver everything loudly to compensate for weaker material. But, the thing is, Sean Cullen’s material is very, very funny. He had the best line of the Yo Mama challenge when he discussed now eliminated comedian Esther Ku’s mother’s Korean-ness by citing that she has a north, south, and demilitarized zone on her body. It’s a lot funnier than I’m making it sound.

1) Iliza Shlesinger- I’m a little surprised that Iliza, the only girl, is my favorite. I’ll admit it, I have less faith in female comedians in general, because there are so few of them who slay me (I’m not sexist though, its just what happens). Iliza, however, slays me constantly. Not only are her general demeanor and personality are funny, but her jokes rock my socks off. Particularly, her bit about the women of Rock of Love who define themselves as “intelligent and classy” and, well, there hasn’t been a bit of hers that I haven’t found funny. She just dominates. And that’s why she’s won the past two showdowns that her competitors threw her into. I’m really rooting for Iliza.

Any of you readers watch Last Comic Standing? Who are your favorites?

0 comments: