Thursday, July 17, 2008

So You Think You Can Dance 7/17- And We're Down To 8

Cat has her hair pulled back tonight, which doesn’t look nearly as good as when it’s forward. I may just be being picky though. The group number tonight is a Bollywood routine. Despite the lights being a little on overload, the number is entertaining and it looks like it was a lot of fun to dance. Will kind of draws the attention, which is no surprise. Cat pimps the shows 4 deserved Emmy nominations. She is also back to saying “jidges”, which is her one non-endearing trait. We get an extended recap of last night. God that Pas De Deux was amazing.

There are gonna be three group dances tonight, which is awesome. Next up is a Mia routine with the five girls. This is also pretty darn good. There’s a great ethereal quality to it, and the use of space is really interesting. The subdued lighting makes a serious improvement, because you’re not being distracted by a bunch of strobing lights. I’ve seen better Mia before, but this would be somewhere near the top of the list. Cat warns us it’s time to get down to business. But not serious business, because we’re just revealing the bottom two girls. I think it’s pretty obvious that it’s going to be Kherington and Comfort. Chelsie is the first to be revealed as safe. Comfort is up next, and she is told that she is, in fact, one of the bottom two. Katee’s next, and because she was awesome last night, she’s safe. Courtney and Kherington are left, and, with little drama it’s revealed that Kherington is the other member of the bottom two, meaning Courtney is safe.

It’s time for the boys group number by a mystery choreographer. This is far and away the best Broadway number there has ever been on the show. The energy is high, the movement is fun, and everyone has moments where they shine. Actually, I’m not sure this is fully Broadway, since there seems to be stepping in the middle. But, seriously, my socks are kind of rocked off. And color me not particularly surprised when it’s revealed that the choreographer is actually Nigel. And color me seriously kinda impressed too. But now onto sad times, as we have to reveal the bottom two guys. Joshua is up first, and, despite him seeming scared, he’s safe. Will was ridiculous last night, so no surprise when he’s safe. He is seriously relieved though, so I don’t think he was expecting that. Mark is next, and I’m really sad when he ends up in the bottom two. I’ll have to vote more for him next week. Gev and Twitch are the last two, and we revisit their nights before it’s revealed that Gev is joining Mark in the bottom two. Which means my favorite two guys are the bottom. Twitch really should have been in Gev’s place and probably should be going home. But America disagrees. Darn you, America. I shake my fist at you.

Every member of the bottom four gets to dance a solo, possibly for the last time, so…

Solo Time
Comfort- Well, this is a lot better than last nights. She’s got enthusiasm and energy. Basically, though, I think she’s just trying to go out with a bang. But it’s a good one. Mary thinks she did an excellent job last night, and Comfort makes Lil’ Cs heart race. He spouts philosophical before telling Comfort she’s grown more than anyone else. Comfort is just glad to be back.

Mark- Mark is just so bizarre and uses his body in such interesting ways. His dance style is my favorite in probably the history of the show. Needless to say, I think he rocks it. Nigel thinks people love Mark. Mary thinks that people don’t realize how tough the show is. Lil’ C says some more cool sounding things praising Mark and highlights Mark’s distinctive atmosphere.

Kherington- Seemingly, people worked harder on their solos for tonight, because again, Kherington is miles better than her solo from last night. She uses her body in interesting ways and doesn’t just alternate leaps and twirls. Lil’ C tries to assuage the hate towards Kherington from last night by citing constructive criticism. Mary is shocked that Kherington has made it this far, but in a good-ish way. Nigel thinks she’s purty.

Gev- Gev does an awesome hip-hop/popping routine to Michael Bublé, and it’s all entertaining tricks and is, as always, very fun to watch. Although he seemed a little rushed. Lil’ C roots for the little guy, I’m guessing pun intendend. He thinks Gev always dances through his heart. Mary thinks Gev has been tremendous and has been pulling it off. Nigel thinks Gev is outstanding in personality, charisma, and ability.

I guess there’s no musical or world of dance act tonight, since it’s cuttin’ time. The girls are up first, aand the girl going home is Kherington, meaning Comfort is living to dance another week. I guess this just shows how one bad night can do you in, since Kherington has been a solid performer all season. She gets her video package and it’s all very nice. But I’m busy worrying about the guys, since I want neither to go home. Although I’m rooting for Mark over Gev. Which is why I’m unhappy but OK with the fact that Gev is the dancer going home tonight. It should be Twitch, though. Gev gets his video package, which reminds me how many seriously awesome dances he had, which makes me sad. And it makes Gev sad too. Cat wishes us all a good night as the dancers, Chelsie first and foremost, make their way on stage to comfort their fallen comrades. I’m not particularly happy with tonight’s eliminations. Neither was the weakest member of their gender. And I think Gev grew more than any other dancer this season. So boo, America. Get it right next week. What about you folks?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I miss the solo after you are eliminated. I don't get the point of having all bottom four solo. Remember when Alison got cut in season 2 and she was dancing and she did this running leap onto Travis and everyone was crying. It was so like raw.

Unknown said...

I am going to link to your blog. My friends like to read my little obsession with sytycd. Thanks for the recap. i don;t have to do it! Great work!

Anonymous said...

def. shouldve been twitch and comfort going home tonight...they had an amazing hip hop number but it is their style and they havent impressed much in anything else really (especially comfort). and who else saw the mark/chelsie hug when mark was announced safe...you can tell they really have a strong bond and its so sweet to see that. they need to be reunited ASAP.

sunnydlita said...

Wow, I agree with your post completely.

Mark and Gev were my one and two favorite guys, respectively, so this was a painful elimination no matter what. On the guys' side, Bottom 2 should have been Mark and Twitch (based on this week's performance), with Twitch going home (least versatile of the guys left).

Ronnica said...

Mark and Gev were my favorite two guys, but I favored Gev so I'm bummed he went home. I think that it should have been Twitch, too!

Anonymous said...

My one gripe about last night: Mia's choreographed piece. The problem was wigs. Big, bad wigs. I couldn't even focus on the dancing because I kept thinking that all of the dancers (esp. Chelsie and Kherington) looked like Raggedy Anne. Ugh.

alethe16 said...

I agree that neither Kherington nor Gev, if you take the whole season into consideration, deserved to go home last night. Kherington did have a bad week, but Comfort is just going to pull down whomever she ends up dancing with next week.

Gev is without doubt the dancer who has improved the most, and he really adapted well to each style. Based on last night's performances, he should have been safe.

That said, like you, I am glad it was not Mark. He's so quirky and amazing. I just really hope he doesn't get paired with Comfort next week, or it could be the end of him.