Thursday, July 3, 2008

So You Think You Can Dance 7/3- The Top 14 Become 12

I missed the first minute or so, but what I saw Tyce’s top 14 group routine was okay. Not stellar, but not outwardly bad either. Although it seems like Broadway finally means Broadway on the show. Cat erases all memories of last night’s hideous outfit by looking ravishing in a red wrap dress and big gold neckpiece. We welcome, unfortunately, our jidges (Cat, you were doing so well). I guess we’ve gotten to the point where the shows aren’t packed anymore, because we get an audition filler piece about how rude Tyce to bad dancers was during auditions. It only furthers my dislike of Tyce.

The first two couples are brought out on stage, and they are Kherington and Twitch and Katee and Joshua. Which means this will most likely be a completely safe round, since these two (along with Mark and Chelsie) are the clear fan favorites this week. We relive all the positive comments and, despite trying to psych them out with promises of the bottom three, both couples are safe. There’s a lot of whooping and jumping and Cat, after apologizing, tells them to get the hell off the stage. Cat, I love you more each week.

Sidenote: So, I was watching The Colbert Report before SYTYCD, and there was a commercial for Dianetics. Aka Scientology. WHAT? First, Scientology advertises on TV now? Second, The Colbert Report is the place that they’re advertising? Now, I may not be an advertising expert or whatnot, but I would think if you’re a shadowy organization with some bizarre beliefs (No offense to any scientologist readers, you just believe some crazy stuff) whose bizarre-ness was outed by the biggest show on a certain network, why would you advertise on said network?

The next three couples on stage are Kourtni and Matt, Courtney and Gev, and Chelsie and Mark. Kourtni and Matt are up first, and we relieve their two weak numbers before they are shunted to the bottom three. Tabitha and Napoleon have nice words for them. Courtney and Gev are up next, and I thought, overall, they were the best last night. Chelsie and Mark are also videoed, and, while I didn’t dig their Jazz, I loved their foxtrot. One of these couples in the bottom, and it turns out to be Courtney and Gev, which is not surprising to me, but I’m a little miffed. Nigel says that’s the way it goes.

The last two couples are up, and Jessica and Will must be very happy, because, while they definitely deserve to be in the bottom a lot more than Comfort and Thayne, they are not going to be. Jessica, especially, must be breathing a sigh of relief. We relive the two couples dances, and it only enforces to me that Jessica and Will should be in the bottom. But, alas, Comfort and Thayne are in the bottom three, meaning Jessica survives to dance another week (I mean, she’s not the weakest dancer, but I think she’s holding back Will more than any other dancer would. She’s the weakest overall package, personality and dance wise).

The special dancer of the night is the awesome, awesome Robert Muraine, who gave up on day one of Vegas. He’s still spectacularly awesome, but, I dunno, I was expecting a little more. There’s a lot of really awesome stuff, and he builds well, but he takes a while to get into the really jaw-dropping stuff. Nigel brings up the fact that Robert quit and then mentions Philip Chbeeb. There’s also a mention of a possible dance battle between Muraine and Chbeeb, which is so clearly gonna be a part of the finale that it’s not even worth speculating about.

I’m still ignoring the Snuggle happy dance segments, but I can’t ignore the fact that Matt can seemingly get his leg to point 90 degrees north. It’s actually more creepy than impressive.

SOLO TIME:
Kourtni: There’s a great pirouette, but this is nowhere near as impressive as she was last week. It’s standard contemporary solo variation four.

Matt: Matt, on the other hand, again displays a wide array of movement types. There’s a bunch of beautiful leaps and extensions.

Courtney: Courtney brings energy, impressive moves, and musicality to the stage. That’s what I call a dance for your life solo.

Gev: Gev is absolutely awesome. I honestly can’t think of any other word to describe it, except for maybe banoodles. There’s a dizzying variation of movement types, ending in a ridiculous frontwards flip. If he or his partner goes home tonight, then this show is completely off its rocker this season.

Comfort: Well, if Comfort is going home tonight (which she likely is), at least she’s going out on a high note. I FINALLY see why Nigel called her the best female hip-hopper the show has ever had. She rocks the stage, even if her music was far too quiet.

Thayne: Well, Thayne, who knew you had it in you. Another awesome solo that is NOT just leap, twirl, leap, twirl, arm movement, like I’ve come to expect. Even my Thayne-hating viewing companion said, “Wow.”

The musical guest tonight is OneRepublic, who are still only notable to me for unleashing the absolutely overplayed “Apologize” on the world. I remember them performing from last season, and how out of place it seemed because they all just stand in place while performing. The frontman steps out from behind his keyboard this time, but it’s more to bend over and look pouty to get the emotions of the song across. The song is, in my opinion, pretty dull and sounds like 87 other songs that are also dull but invade my senses. The sound reminds me of a whinier, American version of a bunch of the good songs from Glen Hansard in “Once.” I say meh, OneRepublic. Meh. The audience seems enthused though.

Sidenote: Step Brothers looks awesome. I guess between this, Pineapple Express, and Tropic Thunder, the studios are saving all the good comedies for the end of summer.

Well, it’s elimination time. Based on those solos, I’d cut Kourtni and Matt (Comfort is also an acceptable cut since she’s the weakest dancer left). The girls are up first tonight, and Nigel says he cares more about the dancers this season than he ever has before. Nigel says they are not unanimous tonight. Courtney is up first, and they laud her and tell her she’s staying. Comfort is next, and, although she didn’t get Nigel’s vote, she is safe, and Kourtni is going home. I liked Kourtni, and she was a good dancer, but she never stood a shot, so I’m perfectly fine with this cut. Next it’s the boys’ turn. Gev is called forward first and is told that he rocks and is safe. The judges were in agreement, and it’s Matt’s end of the line, meaning Thayne is safe. Matt, again, is a really good dancer, but, again, he didn’t stand a chance, and it was kind of his time anyways. Agree? Disagree? Perplexed as to how Jessica is still in the competition or am I just being too harsh towards her?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm shocked, too, that Jessica wasn't in the bottom three. Hopefully, we'll be done being bored by her next week. I can't believe Courtney & Gev were in the bottom three. That's just too bad. I'll have to call in more for them next week :)

Morrighan said...

Kourtni was one of my favorites in the auditions and coming into the show, but yeah, she didn't have that IT factor people talk about. In the show, at least. She is gifted, that goes without saying.

It's unfortunate because I do feel that it's somewhat Matt's fault. He's an incredible dancer but a bit bland. I think she probably could've had an easier time had she been partnered with someone else.

I'm a bit angry with her for not bringing everything to her solo tonight. Even if she went home, she could've gone with a blast. I guess the emotional turmoil was taking its toll.

I had this sinking feeling all day that she was going home because both Comfort and Jessica did good yesterday, at least in one of the routines.

Now which one of them gets to be in the Top 10 is anyone's guess. I'd say Comfort gets by for another week because, clearly and unfairly, the judges REALLY don't like Jessica.

Why put her in the Top 20 then? To have someone to pick on? Was she that different during the rounds?

Well, having Kourtni gone means lot less heartache for me. On Katee's bandwagon now.As I was since the beginning anyway.

Anonymous said...

I am shocked that Jessica wasn't in the bottom three but Courtney, who rocks my world, was. Fortunately, she and Gev (particularly Gev) had great solos (not that it mattered, anyway, b/c the two of them were told they would be safe before they even danced). Now...either Comfort or Jessica will go home next week (I believe), but I wanted Kourtni to stay on, and I knew Nigel wouldn't split up the new couple, so ba bye Kourtni (and Matt, and Matt is, as you say, kinda boring).

I did vote for Courtney and Gev several times, but apparently not enough. I'll also try harder next week!!! (I just wanted to make sure Marksie--Mark and Chelsie--would be safe.)

Let's hope Kourtni is an alternate on the tour. She is so versatile, but I did not dig her solo last week OR this week (IMO). But I think she knew it was over for her...I have to say that the solos mean *this* much this year. I think the judges have already made up their mind when they hear who the bottom three is. But that's just me.

--Sue B

Anonymous said...

I'm not a dancer, so could someone explain to me why everyone is harsh on Jessica?

Anonymous said...

I think jessica is a really good dancer. I think that they give her a lot of crap because will is so amazing that it's hard for her to get excellent comments when paired with him. Plus, I'm tired of the judges cutting all of the other dancers all this slack because they're doing an at least good job outside of their genre and they're not even giving Jessica a chance. Both Jessica and Will were excellent on Wednesday with the shirt dance and the disco. The dances weren't perfect, but they were the best I've seen in the jazz and disco categories. I loved Kourtni and Matt because they're tall and I know how hard lifts can be for tall girls, but it was definitely time for them to go.

Anonymous said...

I'm sad that everyone hates on Jessica too I think she's just insecure and if they think she's holding Will back, why'd they pair them?

Hazel O'Brien said...

Jessica is an excellent dancer. She's absolutely beautiful, but because *she* doesn't know it, and says so, the audience takes their opinion from that. She says she sucks, people think she sucks. Simple cause and effect.

Rosie said...

Jessica (and Will) were safe because their Mandy Moore (?) contemporary piece was very popular. Usually you can get a scope of what people like based on the first / most popular posts on YouTube. Jessica and Will were up there this week. Plus, "Heart"'s "Alone" is also a recipe for reality show success...how could they go wrong? Did I mention Will's shirtless immaculate body? Their dance was like sex on stage...passionate but a little sloppy.

Anonymous said...

Jessica does not have much personality when she dances...Will should had been with Chelsea T I guaranteed they would had been the best couple.....