Thursday, July 31, 2008

So You Think You Can Dance 7/31- And We Have Our Final Four…

Cat is wearng something short, blue, and shiny. I like shiny things. Tonight’s group routine is really beautiful. Chelsie looks a little shaky during it, but I’ll chalk that up to nerves. But it’s one of the most sincere feeling pieces they’ve had in a while. If that doesn’t quite make sense, that’s entirely my fault. It just seems real and beautiful. And I’m a little surprised that it’s a Mandy Moore piece. I totally pegged it as Mia Michaels. Cat welcomes the jidges and calls Adam Shankman “Shankers” She’s adorable. Apparently, SYTYCD has major political power, because voter registration went up 400% at the site they linked to. Also, Adam has added a job in a movie he’s producing to the prize package. I have to admit, as much as Shankers isn’t a very good director (cough cough Cheaper By The Dozen 2 cough cough), that’s a pretty sweet prize and nice thing for him to do.

Cat brings all 6 dancers on stage because the judges want to talk to all of them. Nigel tells them to prepare for rejection and tells them to use it to their advantage. It’s kind of a bizarre speech, that is until he tells each of them that everyone garnered at least a million votes last night. That’s kind of wowzers. Mary thinks they were all so dignified, classy, and mature in Mandy’s number and thinks they’ve all grown by leaps and bounds and she’ll be proud regardless. Shankers thinks they’re all amazing people and wants them to remember every bit of this experience. So, since all 6 dancers are so amazing, everyone gets to dance a solo tonight. Which is awesome, since, as stated earlier, all 6 dancers are so amazing.

Solos:
Courtney: Wow. Talk about an upward progression. I mean, since the beginning Courtney has been pretty darn fantastic, but this seems like a culmination of fantasticness. She totally lays it all out there. Her best solo to date.

Mark: Mark’s solo, while a little light on amazing dancing, features all sorts of other amazing things. When he gets to the dancing, that’s fantastic too. His opening playing with his suspenders is just banoodlesy awesomeness. Shut up, Mark’s my favorite.

Katee: Ok, so I have loved this song for like a year and half and am glad to hear it get play. Her movement is typical Katee. Beautiful, great lines, that little curl into the stomach. And, in typical Katee fashion, it’s also great.

Joshua: Josh displays his awesome control and even more impressive musicality than a bunch of Twitch (the king of musicality)’s solos. The final split move at the end is redonkulous. Oh, and he got his braces off. That’s nice.

Chelsie: Chelsie apparently escaped from a saloon from 1877. Boy, they sure new how to dance (and dance sexy) back then. It’s not as good as her solo from last night, but, honestly, she may have the most impressive legs of anyone on the show, possibly in all four seasons.

Twitch: Twitch never fails to bring a smile to my face, and the music certainly helps tonight. It’s a lot more gliding than dancing, so it could have been a little stronger, but it’s still good. And I love that he’s wearing a shirt with a picture of his glasses on it.

Tonight’s Masters of Dance segment features a six year old who makes me hate myself. Because he’s that good and I’m 2.5 times older than him. But seriously, this kid is awesome. And ridiculously strong, since he can do one-handed hand stands. Aww, he barely makes Cat’s waist. And it’s even cuter when Cat picks him up and holds him. Seriously, she was massively, hugely, tremendously robbed of an Emmy nomination. She’s the best host on TV, bar none.

Sidenote: So, was that Teen Choice Awards add about who America’s Best Dance Crew is blatanly antagonizing ABDC or just simply nudging them in the ribs?

Cat pimps the tour a little bit before, unfortunately, it’s time to start the results. The girls are up first, and, seeing as how there’s a half hour left, I’m sensing a LOT of filler coming. We get recaps of everyone first. Courtney is the first, and she had the exact night she needed to in order to make the top 4. She’s also grown more than anyone else, so this could be close. I’m really torn as to whether I want her or Katee in the top 4, but I’ll be happy with either. Katee is second, and we relive all the deserved praise she got (even if it wasn’t her best night). Although that contemporary was over-hyped. Chelsie is the last up, and I’m reminded yet again of how banoodles her legs and hips are. She held her own in that hip-hop too, so I think she definitely deserves a spot in the final four. Cat, instead of eliminating someone, sends someone to safety. That person is Katee, which, yeah, is deserved. She’s probably the strongest overall female dancer, and has been consistently good.

After the break, it’s the guys turn. Mark is up first, and he also had an amazing night. I think that at this point I like Mark more than I liked Sabra. And I loved loved loved Sabra. His style is just so unique and banoodles. Joshua is up next, and if the teenage girl screams from the audience are any indication, like everyone predicted, he has nothing to worry about. He, like everyone else, had a great night, especially his Paso Doble (although it wasn’t good enough for that Mary Murphy ear-drum puncturing scream). Twitch is up last, and, I’ll probably get hate, but he was kind of out of his element in the top 6. He was as bad in that mambo as I remembered, it seems, but that hip-hop was really fun. The first guy going to safety is Joshua, meaning Twitch and Mark have to sweat it out. It better be Mark, America. It better be Mark.

Tonight’s music guest is Lady Gaga, an artist I’ve never heard of, singling “Let’s Dance’, a song I’ve never heard of. So, as you can see, I truly study up before I write these recaps. However, based on the performance, I think Lady Gaga is some kind of dominatrix from the future with a bad stylist. And if that’s the kind of songs they sing in the future, then uh oh. Although I do give her credit, since there are people on stage, you know, dancing with her. Which, IIRC, is the first time that people have actually danced on that stage during the musical act since those dancing prostitutes from week one.

Sidenote: So, yeah, a second side note about the Teen Choice Awards. There’s actually a catergory called Choice Music Hookup? And there are sufficient nominees? What?

Bah, Cat, you’re killing me with this suspense. Thankfully (or not, since it could spell the end of Mark (Please no!) ), we’re in the last ten minutes, which means it’s time for the real results. The girls are up first, and the girl going home tonight is Chelsie, meaning Courtney scrapped her way into the finals. Good on her, because she totally deserves it. Chelsie totally deserves it too, but she takes it with tons of grace. Seriously, impressively mature how well she handles her elimination. Although she’s crying by the end of her video package, and she still manages to make a funny. I’m starting to think she unfairly got a bad rap about her personality. Now it’s the boys’ turn, and I’m hoping lightning can strike twice. But, unfortunately, it doesn’t. Mark is going home. Ultimate sad face. Mark totally deserved it. His video package only serves to remind me how amazingly awesome he was and how much he was completely and totally robbed. Twitch, I’m sorry, but you just eliminated Mark, and so I will likely not have much love for you next week. I’m vindictive like that. Courtney Galliano For The Win!
blog comments powered by Disqus