Thursday, August 7, 2008

So You Think You Can Dance 8/7- And We Have Our Winner…

Cat looks like a British virginal Native American princess. And she looks charming. We get to see everyone again. It’s just fun to see everyone again, so I’m not gonna comment on who’s better. But Mark and Chelsie are still adorable. And Jessica is notably absent, meaning she isn’t healed enough. That’s too bad. Cat calls them her babies. There are 6 choreographers on the panel tonight Mia, Shankers, Debbie Allen, Nigel, Mary, and the awesome Lil’ C. The others are all in the audience. It turns out that the movie role that Shankers talked about is Step Up 3D. I have to say, a 3D dance movie sounds pretty awesome. We get a very long season recap. It’s equal parts happy and sentimental. Oh, and Will is the only one who gets his elimination shown. Hmmm….

The first dance of the night features the entire top 20 in a Shane sparks routine. The routine is tons of fun and everyone seemingly gets their moment, which is nice of Shane and the editors. Gev probably gets the most awesome bits. But overall, this reminds me of why I missed Shane Sparks so much this season. As much as they’ve created some great routines, Napoleon and Tabitha couldn’t touch this.

Tonight, the judges get to pick their favorite dances of the season for us to see again. I’m just gonna say, Mark better be in at least two. Nigel is up first, and his first pick is the Bollywood routine, which I wasn’t really blown away by the first time around. They’re a lot more relaxed this time around, and it’s a lot of fun this time. Josh even gives Katee a kiss at one point. Awww. Mary is up next, and she picks Courtney and Gev’s rumba. Gev looks a lot more clean cut this time around, and, for anyone who was worried, their chemistry is still very much intact. This is probably the sexiest rumba the show has ever had. Like, seriously, if I didn’t know better, I’d be sure these two were boinking. But they’re still absolutely fantastic and adorable.

Hey, SYTYCD, before next season, could you please find a corporate sponsor who’s mascot isn’t going to probably kill me in my sleep? Because I think that’s what Snuggle is planning.

YAY! It’s time for the Chbeeb/Muraine dance off. Apparently, Chbeeb got pneumonia before getting to Vegas, which is why he wasn’t there. That’s sad. Hopefully he’ll be back next season. As for this dance off, however, well, this is probably one of the greatest things ever on the SYTYCD stage. Personally, I prefer the fluidity of Chbeeb to the ridiculous popping abilites of Muraine. But this is just banoodles on so many levels. I really hope this doesn’t mean Chbeeb can’t come back next season. Because I would love to see him actually compete on the show. We go to the judges to get their say and see who wins. Mia goes with Philip but Shankers picks Muraine, tying it up. Debbie also goes with Muraine, as does Nigel, putting Robert up 3-1. Mary also picks Robert, meaning he wins the dance off. Lil’ C does get to cast his vote, and after deeming the whole thing very buck, he also picks Robert. Aw, poor Phil. Mia and I are behind you Phil!

Sidenote: The way the families act in Olive Garden commercials always make me wanna make sure my own family never goes to an Olive Garden.

We’re back to the judges’ picks for the dances. Nigel and Shankers fake bicker about something that I miss. He’s picked Comfort and Twitch’s hip-hop, which was pretty much a guarantee to pop back up here. There’s a nice camera malfunction in the middle, but the routine is still all sorts of awesome and fun. Comfort really is banoodles in her own style. Lil’ C is up next, and I’m very disappointed at the lack of Mark so far. He describes the show as a museum, which is an awesome analogy, and picks Bleeding Love, meaning Mark! Yay! Can Lil’ C please pop up on the judging panel tons next season? Even though they’re out of sync with each other at the beginning, I forgive them, because they’re Mark and Chelsie, aka my favorites. Although Chelsie’s solo section? Kinda a little more impressive the first time.

We go back to panel, but where’s Mary? On stage with Season 2’s Dmitry, dancing, that’s where! Actually, Mary is a lot better than I would have guessed. I guess that’s why she’s on the panel. Seriously, Mary Murphy has impressed me. I’m shocked. Now, if only she would shut up every once in a while, I’d actually be happy to have her on the show.

Sidenote: Haha, that Scott Toilet Paper “Geez, Louise” commercial is great…

Mia’s pick is up next, and she thinks this has been the best season choreographically, and she’s picking the ridiculously amazing Pas De Deux. This was my favorite too, because it was just so ridiculously amazing. And it still is. These two were the best technical dancers on the show, no question. God, this is still just so ridiculous. It’s back to Shankers for his second pick of the night, and he feels bad for whoever has to follow that. He’s picking Sonja’s “The Garden”, which YAY! Mark, Courtney, Sonja, and amazingness, all rolled into one dance. This is still such a perfect pairing of Mark and Sonja. This routine is still just amazing. Unfortunately, it’s time for the first elimination. It’s gonna be really mean of them to eliminate Courtney is her garters and corset ensemble. But unfortunately, they do, meaning Courtney, the dancer I was rooting for, isn’t the winner. I still really heart Courtney though, but she’s not sad or upset, she’s proud. Aww, she’s adorable. She tears up as she says what she’s gained. Courtney, I was rooting for ya.

The next routine up is the top 5 guys routine, choreographed by Nigel. It’s still really fun, and it’s still the best Broadway routine that was on stage all season. It reminds me how awesome the top 5 guys were. Gev should have lasted longer. Next, we get a dance by Wade from Criss Angel’s “Believe.” Ok, now THIS is the Wade I was looking for last night. Totally bizarre and creepy but totally amazing too. There’s so much to watch, because you don’t want to take your eyes off any part of the dance. If Mark, Sonja, and Wade all came together, I think it would probably blow my mind. I would totally pay for that.

The top 3 are brought back on stage, because it’s time to cut someone again. The next person who is not our winner is Katee, and I’m not at all shocked. Because the judges wanted Josh vs. Twitch, and they pimped in order to get their wish. Katee is still hardcore banoodles and awesome, and she’ll still go on to great things. Katee loved the whole experience and is happy to find out that there’s a prize for the top boy AND the top girl, so Katee wins 50 grand. Not bad. Although, seriously, show, way to stick it Courtney YET again.

When we come back, Cat is chilling with the judges, where we get to talk to Debbie about how proud she is of Will and what it was like watching it as a viewer (which she liked because she could scream obscenities at the judges. Hey, me too!). She also compares SYTYCD to the Olympics. And it turns out Debbie, has brought the Debbie Allen Dance Academy, so we get lots of little kids doing tap. It’s pretty fun. And then Nigel joins the mix, and it gets a little creepy. Still cool, but creepy. The call and answer between Nigel and the kids is really good though. And if anyone was wondering, Nigel still can’t act, as confirmed by the top 20 routine where he was kidnapped. Oh, and Nigel, not cool taking a shot at my city’s public transportation. Our subway rocks. Shankers also challenges Nigel to a danceoff for next season. Go Shankers!

It’s time for Mary’s next choice, which is Twitch and Katee’s door piece, which was tons of fun. So I’m pumped. It’s not quite as mischievous as it was the first time, which is what I loved, but Katee swinging out on that door still may be my favorite moment of the entire season. It’s time for our finale terrible musical guest, The Jonas Brothers. I have completely avoided the Jonas Brothers up until this point, and dear god is this awful. I mean, I get that they are completely non-threatening, but does that make up for a complete lack of talent nowadays? I think one of them forgets the lyrics part way though. To their own new hit single. Seriously? Or are they just supposed to mumble all the lyrics? Nevermind Flo Rida, you’re no longer the worst musical act of the season. Jonas Brothers, welcome to the awards!

There’s time for two more routines, and Debbie gets to finally choose one, Twitch and Kherington’s Viennese Waltz. She also mocks Lil’ C in a very funny way, and then the whole panel gets in on it. This was beautiful the first time, and it’s nice to see it again. I kind of wish someone who wasn’t in the top 10 would get some airtime again though. It’s still really beautiful. I don’t have much more to say about it. Nigel gets the last pick of the season, and he picks Tabitha and Napoleon’s “No Air” as the last routine of the season, which was a great routine. I really wish we could have seen Courtney and Gev’s map dance again though. Rewatching this, Josh is even more impressive than I remember. They really nail the emotions on this one.

But, before the final results, we get a dance from a ton of past dancers, too many to list. The routine is completely and totally awesome, because everyone gets to do their little specialties, which adds up to one ridiculously amazing number. And the top dancers from this season join them too. This is just banoodles. So much fun to watch.

But it’s time for the final results. Joshua vs. Twitch. Cat mentions Josh and Twitch’s lack of training again, and then… The winner is Joshua! Good. Between those two, Joshua really deserved it. To Twitch’s credit, he seems so happy for Joshua. Joshua looks like he’s about to pass out, and on the verge of tears. He says “Never let anybody tell you you can’t do something.” Aww. I’m happy. I mean, I wanted Mark. Or Chelsie. Or Courtney. But I’ll take Josh. Well, another season down. Not as good as the last one. But lets just hope next season is better!
blog comments powered by Disqus