Thursday, June 11, 2009

So You Think You Can Dance 6/11- Twenty Minus Two Equals...

Hey folks,

So, it’s time to lose our first two dancers. As I said last night, I’d personally get rid of Asuka and Tony after last night. They were certainly the least impressive to me. But I have a gut feeling that Paris and Vitolio aren’t long for this season. Let’s see, shall we?

Note: This is the abridged recap. For the full one, head over to sytycd.ca

Cat looks glorious in an olive green dress with a nice bow on the side. Wowzers, Ms. Deeley, wowzers. Keep up with this and I’ll stop paying attention to the dancers.

The opening number is a weirdly futuristic hip-hop number to what will undoubtedly be the worst song of the entire millennium, aka “Boom Boom Pow”. At times it seems like a wee bit of a rip-off of the most memorable group routine ever, the Ramalama Bang Bang Victorian zombies routine from season two. A lot of the dancers have great moments (I’m kind of surprised that Max can move the way he does during this number), and I like it far better than either NappyTabs routine from last night. Maybe that’s because it’s by Shane Sparks, who really should have a much bigger role in terms of the hip-hop dancing this season. His non-presence last season resulted in a dismally low number of great hip-hop routines.

And we jump RIGHT into the results with the first three couples coming on stage. See, this is yet another reason I love SYTYCD. We don’t have to wait 48 minutes for the first bit of results unlike some reality talent shows (cough cough Idol). Kayla and Max, Randi and Evan, and Jeanine and Philip are the first three couples. All are safe. Deserved, deserved, ehhhhh….

As we come back from break, our next four couples are up on stage. Caitlin and Jason and Melissa and Ade are both safe. Ashley and Kupono are safe too. Paris and Tony are the first couple in the bottom three. After another commercial break, Asuka and Vitolio join them, followed shortly thereafter by Karla and Jonathan. Again, both ranked in my bottom four for the night, so I’m neither flabbergasted nor upset.

It’s Soloin’ Time

Paris- It’s… good. Not fantastic. I almost think she was better last night doing hip hop. I’m not as invested in her survival anymore.

Tony- It’s fun, and it displays his comedic personality well, but we’ve seen such better hip-hop on this stage that I still don’t see him stacking up.

Asuka- Ballroom solos are always more difficult, but Asuka’s has a lot of jive in it, which makes it much better than your typical ballroom solo. She just jumped ahead of Paris for me.

Vitolio- Ok, so if this doesn’t earn Vitolio another week, the judges are frickin’ blind. It’s fantastic. Miles ahead of any of the other solos this evening. Cat’s got chills.

Karla- So, I’m a little surprised Karla is dancing a contemporary solo, given the word that she was secretly a hip-hop dancer. Her extension is really remarkable, but I’m not sure I loved the solo. She was better than Paris though.

Jonathan- His solo seems to be more about tricks than anything else, which is what they bounced Marquis way too early for last season. It’s not fantastic, and may have actually just saved Tony.

After having seen the solos, I think I’d bounce Paris and Tony. I was really pro Paris before tonight, but after the solos, she was the weakest in the bunch. And I think my stance on Tony is clear.

Musical performance time, and it’s Sean Kingston, with apparently, the “hit single of the season”, Fire Burning. It’s a song that I’ve never heard before, but I don’t necessarily doubt what Cat said because I don’t really listen to hit music, because its mostly awful. Case in point, this song. It’s really kind of atrocious. I can’t find a melody in it at all, he seems to sing the same note over and over, and he literally runs out of breath at one point despite barely moving during the performance. The one thing that’s clear is that he’s not lip-syncing, because he may trip over the lyrics at one point. To his own hit song. Seriously, at this point, I’d take those dancing prostitutes who usually perform their “music” on one of the early results show over this garbage.

Results time. The girls are up first, and the result is unanimous. Karla is called up first. They tell her she was very good this evening, but she needs to make sure she’s dancing, not just doing steps. But she did enough to be safe. They took everything they’ve seen so far and how many dancers from different genres are in the competition this season, which basically means Paris is going home, since Asuka is one of two (3?) ballroomers this season. They see Asuka as a personality star, and they felt Paris just didn’t bring it enough tonight. Paris is dunzo. She holds back tears as it goes into her goodbye video package. There’s a lot of her making faces in the background of shots, which really shows how much screentime she was given this season. Cat thanks her for being a part of the competition and sends her to the lone stool of eliminated depression.

The men are next, and it’s unanimous again. Nigel says none of them were good enough tonight. He starts with Vitolio and says they didn’t see enough personality from him and he wasn’t good enough either night. Um, judges, were you WATCHING what I was watching? The judges again critique Tony for failing in his style, tell Jonathan that his gymnastics were fun but aren’t gonna keep him around long, and then thankfully dismiss Tony. He just wasn’t up to par, plain and simple. Cat tells him here is just the beginning. Did the judges get it right? I think they did. See you back next week here folks.
blog comments powered by Disqus