Thursday, July 9, 2009

So You Think You Can Dance 7/9- Who Makes The Tour?

Hey folks,

Tonight’s the last cuts before the tour! Let’s see how this plays out, shall we? Cat is wearing something blue with a giant neck thing. I'm... perplexed by it. And not prepared to judge it yet… The opening is fairly cool, and maybe MJ-inspired? I'm betting it's Brian Friedman or Shane Sparks. Nearly everyone looks really good, but Kayla is kind of more awesome than everyone else. And Randi looks scarily like Billie Piper. It's throwing me off something fierce. But I enjoyed the opening. And it's great how they all salute Cat as she walks on stage. Apparently, it was a NappyTabs. Color me surprised. Didn't expect that from them. Nigel, who is a 60th birthday boy today, informs us that they can’t do an MJ memorial because Sony wouldn’t clear the music. Boo Sony!

Note: You know the drill. This is abridged. Where's the full one? Sytycd.ca

First two couples are up on stage are Caitlin/Jason and Brandon/Janette. Hmm, I wonder which of these two is in the bottom… Yup, it’s Caitlin and Jason. Shocker!

Up next, Randi and Evan face off against Jeanine and Chbeeb. I’m rooting for the former, although I’m guessing most are rooting for the latter. But I’m victorious this round, because Randi/Evan are safe, while Jeanine and Chbeeb are dancing for their lives.

Finally, the last two couples are up on stage. Melissa and Ade vs. Kayla and Kupono. Ok, so Adessa are my favorite couple and Pono’s my least favorite dancer, so guess which couple I’m rooting for to be safe? If you guessed Adessa, you’re right! Which is why I have sadface to the max. Pono/Kayla are safe, Adessa not. Also, pretty sure Pono screamed "Shut The F*** Up!" and wildly overcelebrated. And Tyce is being mean to Ade. Boo hiss Tyce! Boo Hiss!

Cat sneaks us a peak of a season 6 audition. It’s someone named Teddy and I like it quite a bit, although at times it’s overly flaily. Ok, wait, I realized that this S6 auditions highlights thing is a really sneaky way of implanting favorites in our head before the season even begins. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Ms. Deeley and the Producers: Master Cat-Nipulators...

Solo time!

Caitlin's first. Ok, it's cute and well acted, but this is a defeated solo if I've ever seen one. And why shouldn't she be? Does she really stand a chance?

Jason's next. Ok, the judges are going to totally call this one too busy, or desperate, or whatever their watchword is for this season. I, on the other hand, think it rocks.

Jeanine's turn. And sadly, she's still wearing that gold disaster. It picks up somewhere in the middle, but after last week, this is a let down. It seemed a bit complacent to me. Then again, the judges guaranteed she'd be here next week, so why not?

Ok, so it's Chbeeb doing hip-hop. Of course it's just ridiculously awesome. And super-duper brownie points to Chbeeb from using that future aria from The Fifth Element. Awesome song choice. But his solo last week was maybe a smidge better too.

This is our first time seeing Melissa solo, and it's entirely on pointe. It's also good, not great. I mean, I don't know ballet, this may be fantastic, but I wasn't all that captivated by it.

Ade, my favorite, is our last solo. Um, and this. is. AMAZING. Amazing song, amazing musicality, amazing quality of movement. AND HOLY CRAP DID YOU SEE THAT FLYING CARTWHEEL! Tyce, you better take back every single word you just said. Cat's got the Deeley Chills.

Music performance. It's Kelly Rowland and David Guetta. She's clearly not lip-synching, and I know this because she sounds kind of awful at least at the get go. But, hey, for once, good back up dancers! Kelly Rowland gets somewhat better, but this is still pretty bad. I mean, not "Fire Burning" bad. Or even Kristinia Debarge bad. But it's just anemic and not very fun to watch and not very good to listen to. But hey, at least she's not lip-synching. And when the backup dancers do their little solo parts it's actually fun, if only the camera would actually pay attention to them instead of Kelly Rowland.

RESULTS! Girls are up first, results are unanimous. Nigel thinks a lot of the dancers have achieved their star potential yet. They're evaluating from a positive point of view tonight. Caitlin is called up first and Nigel basically dismisses her immediately. She's already crying, and I feel bad, because I did like her, she just didn't shine as much as she needed to. Her video package is all nice a warm and fuzzies. And it features her doing that back-bend thing a bunch. That's gotta be a good stretch.

Now it's the boys turn. They're again unanimous, and again, they did it with a positive spin. Phil is called forward first and called unique at what he does, but they're upset with his lack of versatility and he's going home tonight. What the what? Seriously? I mean, like, for reals? Don't get me wrong, I'm not broken up over this, but wowzers, didn't see that one coming. Nigel assures us that he's already spoken to the producers and both he and Caitlin are gonna be on the tour. His video package features a lot of noodle limbs. Which is good, since that's when he really shined.

Phil is really emotional, and really was glad to have the opportunity to grow. Awww, warm and fuzzies are back. Jeanine actually looks really shaken. And not to get all Machiavellian, but if Jeanine is really the chosen one, this is a great strategy of funneling Phil's votes to her. And Jason is really upset to see Caitlin going it seems. Well, we now have our top 10 folks. What do you think?
blog comments powered by Disqus