Thursday, August 6, 2009

So You Think You Can Dance 8/6- Our Season 5 Champ Is Crowned!

Well, folks, it's finally here. Tonight we crown Ameriker's Favorite Dancer for the fifth time! (Ameriker's Fifth Favorite Dancer?). This season really feels like it flew by. Cat looks, um, what's the word, STUNNING, in a little white number. Maybe the slightest bit over tanned, but still, she's like catnip.

Note: This is a somewhat abridged recap. For a complete version of the night's events, head to sytycd.ca

Wait, seriously, we're repeating Tyce's Brand New Day routine as the group routine tonight? Not Mia's "Higher Ground"? Or NappyTabs and Dmitry's one? Because this wasn't the top 20's group rotuine, was it? No, right? Then why pick this one? I mean, there are some cool parts, and everyone gets at least a little moment to shine, but I MUCH would have preferred to see a bigger, more out there version of Higher Ground.

Jeanine or Brandon get the biggest cheers upon mention of their names. There were 21.6 million votes last night. Impressive. We've got SEVEN jidges on the panel tonight: Lil' C, Mia (who looks great), Tyce, Honey Child Debbie Allen, Shankers (!), Mary Murphy (apparently auditioning for the role of Tiffany Case in a Diamonds are Forever remake?), and Nigel.

Tonight, all our jidges are picking favorite routines from this season to see all over again. Shankers is the first jidge to pick a routine from this, and it's NappyTabs' first routine of the season, with Chbeeb and Jeanine. Really, that's the one you pick Shankers? I will say, it shows Jeanine's growth over the season that she's actually drawing my attention more than Phil. This number was good, but was it finale good? I still don't think so. As my viewing partner suggests, it's probably to remind people that Phil will be on the tour.

Nigel's pick is Brandon and Janette's Argentine Tango. Now, THIS is a dance that I wanted to see again tonight. And, um, this is still really good. It maybe doesn't pack the same punch it did the first time, but Janette is still Ri.Dic.U.Lous. Um, can someone remind me how she didn't make the finale? Seriously, what happened there?

Debbie Allen is up next with Asuka and Vitolio's Top 18 Louis Van Amstel waltz? Again, this is one of the routines we're getting tonight? I mean, this one I understand somewhat more than the other one, but there were such better routines this season, at least IMO. Maybe because I don't have the strongest memories of this dance, but it's quite beautiful.

Mary's favorite is Jeanine and Jason's Travis routine, which is another one I wanted to see tonight, so thanks Mary. I notice that the heart pendant is red this time as opposed to silver. I don't know, but this small detail somehow makes it a bit more distracting. I forgot how good these two were in this number. Jeanine actually missed a catch on the locket this time. The kiss also is less of a "wow" moment this time, but this number is still amazing, and will be remembered in future seasons.

Mia is the next to pick an encore routine and she’s going with Kayla and Max's Samba, which was hot hot HOT, IIRC. It'll be interesting to see this one again, It's still high energy, and great, and it makes me wish Max had made it farther into the competition. However, I can only wonder if right after this number, they're going to eliminate Kayla. It seems like it's about time for them to eliminate someone. But White Lightning is not the one who should go out first. And, wow, I forgot about that RIDICULOUS ending.

Debbie's next pick is that NappyTabs and Dmitry collaboration that was far better than Brand New Day, so why not just do that at the top of the show? This one still rocks, in case anyone had questions that it wouldn't. And that dancing in water part is still ridiculous and sexy. Brandon, Ade, Kayla, Karla, Janette, and Jeanine are all the real standouts in this one.

Our next guest is the winner of SYTYCD Australia Talia Fowler, choreographed by Sonja. Now, THIS, is awesome. This is the kind of stuff I wanted more of from Sonja this season, which is not to say that Sonja disappointed this season, but rather I wanted more edgy stuff from her. Talia actually reminds me of Jeanine somewhat, both in look and, to an extent, movement. But this was really, really good. Kudos to Sonja.

Lil' C's pick is next and he's going with "Jai Ho all day." Of course, he has to wax rhapsodic for like a minute before letting us see the dance. He also calls Caitlin and Jason extra buck. You know, the amount I remember NOT being wowed by the top 20 performance show, it's making an impressive showing on the finale. Although my favorite routine from that night still hasn't popped up yet. Bollywood isn't my favorite style on the show, it's entertaining but never leaves a particularly lasting impression on me. That being said, they still do this routine well. And Jason ends with a kiss again. He's a kissing bandit, that Jason.

The top 4 are brought out on stage, and one is getting cut. . The dancer in 4th place is... Kayla. White Lightning, I'm sorry to see you go. You were awesome, you know it, and Shankers knows it (as do the other judges). Her video package only reminds what a powerhouse she was.

Shankers is next to pick another encore routine, and it's gonna be Mia's Butt routine, which was fun, and I'm excited to see again. I liked Randi, and was sad that she just completely fizzled without Evan and when saddled with that terrible Paso Doble wig. She actually seems to be dancing with much less abandon this time, and is even better than she was the first time. If we had seen THIS Randi Top 10 week, I suspect we might have had a different latter half of the season.

Mary, the show's queen of scream, is picking the next one, and it's Jeanine and Brandon's Paso Doble from last night. OK, is it wrong that I'm expecting Cat to eliminate one of these two at the end of the number? This is still really good. Their intensity is bonkers.

up, it's time for Elimination number two. At least they bring Evan back on stage. The next person getting cut and our third place finisher is... Evan! Wow, I did not see that one coming. I mean, I'm not going to lie, I'm kind of glad that he was the cut. Brandon deserved to finish above him. Evan is a great performer and tons of fun to watch. He brought Broadway styling to the mainstream which is great. And the kid is adorable. But he was outdanced by Brandon last night. He thanks everyone and says he never imagined he'd be at this point in the competition. He's ecstatic to have been a part of this and he's going to take as much away from it as possible. You can see that Evan is holding in the tears until the commercial break, which is kind of sad. Awwwww.

Nigel’s picking the next routine, Mia’s addiction piece. Am I the only one who thinks it's cruel to make Kayla dance after eliminating her? I acutally think Pono is MUCH better this time and Kayla is STILL managing to portray vulnerability like whoa. Although I guess maybe that's easier after being told that Ameriker doesn't love you as much as the other three? Anyway, this is another one that's sure to remembered from this season. Mia is crying at the end. As are Shankers and Kayla it seems.

The Rage Boyz Crew, that kids group who I didn't think were amazing last time they performed, are back. They've maybe stepped up their game this time, or at least put their strongest dancers up front. I mean, they're kids, and they're still far better dancers than I will ever be. But this still isn't like, jaw-dropping or anything. I'd much rather see more things like the SYTYCD Australia solo. Although the moment when they throw the littlest kid like 15 feet in the air is awesome.

There's only time for two more judges routines, and one of them better be that Wade Jazz. But Tasty is next and he's picking a Doriana disco featuring Brandon and Janette, which means I'm guessing that the other routine won't also be Brandon and Janette, to which I say What The Eff? You include that Chbeeb and Jeanine NappyTabs but not that ridiculously amazing Wade Jazz? Asuka and Vitolio's waltz? SERIOUS OVERSIGHT on the jidges part. I mean, this number is still great. But this or the Wade Jazz? The Wade wins every time. The only reason I can think of for Wade's number being conspicuously absent is that they needed the staircase and couldn't bring one to the Kodak. At least, that better be the reason. If it's any reason than that, that reason is unacceptable.

Time for our last piece, and Mia is, as expected, picking Tyce's cancer routine. Which was beautiful, and I'm glad to see it again, but I want my Wade Jazz dammit! Tyce also reveals that the friend he choreographed this for is cancer-free today. That's nice, and I mean that with zero snark. Rewatching this makes me miss Ade in the finale. I think he would have been awesome in that LaurieAnn number versus Brandon.

There's a surprise, though, first. A Mia routine, the top 8 one in paritcular. I notice the judges table is conspicuously absent as Cat intros the number. Methinks cameo appearances are coming. The editing on this one is really really terribly choppy. It's completely ruining any sort of flow the number should have. And yup, there are our jidges. Althouhg, Lil' C isn't there. Um, what's up with that C?

Jeanine and Brandon are back on stage and it's time to find out who America's favorite dancer is. After over 21 million votes, Ameriker's Favorite Dancer Is... JEANINE! Jeanine is, completely understandably, overcome with emotion. She never thought she would be giving an acceptance speech at the Kodak, but she thanks the academy. Ok, that's kind of awesome. She thanks her mom for pushing her to dance. What she'll remember most from this experience is:
1) Right now. (Great answer)
2) The other dancers
3) Travis' piece for her and Jason
4) Cat (who is jokingly appalled to be number four)

The confetti goes off (although noticeably over the audience, not the stage) and the dancers all run up and hug each other and awww. The dancers all may holding up some sort of hand signal for season five. All I know is that it's gotta be better than "4 Real." So, that was our season folks. I had a good time. Did you? I’ll be back for season 6 but, until then, I'm Nate Levy, Good Night Ameriker!
blog comments powered by Disqus