Friday, November 23, 2007

Thanks and No Thanks

Well, I’m a day late and more than a few dollars short, but I’ve compiled a list of things to be thankful for and things to lament this TV year:

I’m Thankful For:


Slap Bets: Not only was the original episode my favorite episode of television of the past year, but every subsequent payoff has been pitch perfect, including this most recent Slapsgiving episode.

The Writer’s Strike:
I know this is surprising to see here, but as a writer who is hoping to break into TV, this strike will be key in getting fair wages for any future work I do.

Pushing Daisies: For bringing fairy tale and whimsy and quality back to primetime television. Also, for finally bringing Bryan Fuller the success he so deserves.

Alec Baldwin and “30 Rock”: For making “The Office” more than a fluke for NBC.

Rock of Love: If only for teaching me that it’s never a good idea to threaten a person with a good time. Especially if they’re a drunken stripper.

Imaginationland: For violating everything my childhood held dear, and making me love that violation.

My Readers: It makes me feel really good about myself when people read my blog. So, sentimental “aw” moment: Thanks for reading guys. “Awwwwwww”


I’m NOT Thankful For:

The Writer’s Strike: While I support what they’re doing, there’s a good chance that it’ll seriously hurt a bunch of good freshman shows.

Meredith Not Dying on Grey's Anatomy: I hate her. I hate her so much. I want to punch her anytime I’m reminded of her “Choose Me. Pick Me. Love Me” speech.

I Love New York Season 2: Because it’s nowhere near as good as season one.

The Cancellation of Studio 60: Because it had such good potential, but still couldn’t find viewers.

The Way Veronica Mars Ended:
I seriously wanted to punch my TV. That’s the way they ended my favorite show?

Lorena on The Amazing Race: It takes a special something to become one of my most hated reality competitors three episodes into a season. Kudos, Lorena. Kudos.

Most Reality Shows on the CW:
Beauty and the Geek and America’s Next Top Model, those I can live with. But, seriously, “The Search for the Next Pussycat Doll”? The Upcoming “Crowned: The Ultimate Mother Daughter Beauty Pageant”? The Upcoming “Farmer Wants A Wife”? Someone sold their soul to the devil for development deals…


Overall though, I’m a lot more thankful for this past year than I am sad about it. While we lost some great shows, we gained some other great ones. Good times, people. Good times.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've recently discovered your blog - love it :) Just had to comment on your "Meredith not dying on Grey's"...TOTALLY agree. lord. She is the worst part about that show and I was SO hoping they would do something shocking and knock her off. *sigh* Maybe next season...