Wednesday, August 6, 2008

SYTYCD Pre-Finale Extravaganza Part 2

Oh, hello again. I didn’t see you there. Although that may be because I’m looking around my living room and you readers are all scattered about in places other than my living room. But no biggie, that’s not gonna stop me from handing out some So You Think You Can Dance Season 4 Awards. Of course, these are all my own opinion, and such, so on and so forth. Anyway, on to the awards!

Dancer Who I Wished We Could Have Seen More Of: A Near Three Way Tie!
1) Chelsea Traille
2) Marqis Cunningham
3) Rayven Ormijo


So, this is the only award that has multiple winners. Mainly because I couldn’t decide on one of these three. After week one, I actually thought Chelsea, who owned the stage in her first routine, was a potential finalist. But then she and Thayne got two meh routines in a row and its goodbye Chelsea. I think that she could have been much bigger and better. Marquis had real potential to be a dark horse, and his solo was ridiculously awesome the week he got cut. I’m still confused by that one. I’m interested in Rayven more because it would have been interesting to see a ballerina go further.

Dancer Who I Was Too Hard On: Jessica King. She was dancing with Will, of course she never stood a chance of looking great. Plus, that whole dancing with broken ribs thing for multiple weeks made me feel bad about how harsh I had constantly been to her. Sorry, Jessica.

Dancer The Judges Were Too Hard On: Probably Matt Dorame. Or Thayne. They both would get ripped, even though they weren’t terrible terrible.

Dancer Who Grew The Most: Definitely Gev. Definitely. (And there was no height pun intended here)

Dancer Who I’m Still Surprised Made The Top 20: Does anyone remember Susie “Cannon Fodder” Garcia?

Most Impressive Legs: Is there even a question? Chelsie Hightower.

Most Impressive Upper Body: Despite Will and Twitch’s constant shirtlessness, this one goes to Joshua Allen. That boy is strong.

Mr. and Mrs. Congeniality: Comfort Fedoke and Mark Kanemura. These two just seemed to constantly be in good spirits, even during bad criticisms.

Mr. Personality: Twitch is always fun to watch, just because he has such a good demeanor. Not that the others don’t. Twitch’s just stands out more.

Most Uneven Choreographer: Napoleon and Tabitha. One week, they’d have an amazing routine. The next week, suck city. Hell, the first week of the competition, I ranked their routines at numbers one and ten out of ten. That’s pretty uneven, if you ask me.

Most Improved Choreographer: Tyce Diorio. I had never gotten why Tyce was so loved before this season. I still don’t really, but he’s had a handful of great routines, which I have to give him credit for.

Best New Choreographer: Sonja Tayeh. All three of her routines this season have been bonkers, in a good way. Even that Kourtni and Matt superheroes one was great.

Best New Style: There haven’t been many this season, but probably Bollywood.

Worst New Style: No brainer. Country two step.

Worst Routine of the Season: Kourtni and Matt’s Top 14 Cecily and Olisa hip-hop. Yikes. There’s no soul, no passion, and you can read every mistake on their face.


Worst Musical Act Of The Season: While I’m tempted to pick those dancing prostitutes from week one or Lady Gaga, they both featured dancing, so they’re off the hook. This one probably goes to Flo Rida.

Best Musical Act Of The Season: Again, while the dancing prostitutes and Lady Gaga danced, their songs were terrible. I guess this one goes to Katy Perry, since her song was probably one of the best we were subjected to.

Best Guest Judge: Lil' C was really awesome. Here's hoping he shows up more often next season.

Worst Guest Judge: I still think Toni Basil came across as kind of a crazy old lady...

Best Cat Deeley Moment: Again, no brainer. The grills.

Worst Cat Deeley Moment: There’s no such thing as a bad Cat Deeley moment. Just bad Cat Deeley outfits.

Well, do you folks agree with my awards. Did I miss categories? Misidentify winners? Can you remember a bad Cat Deeley moment? Comment it to me. And part 3 is coming soon…

Coming Up in Part 3: The 10 Best Routines of the Season (So Far)
blog comments powered by Disqus