Wednesday, April 22, 2009

State of VH1: The Less Trashy Varieties

I don't watch Celebrity Rehab or Sober House, nor most of VH1's documentary shows. I've watched an episode or two of Tough Love, but didn't love it. Female friends have said it hits too close to home for them though. There are, however, two shows I want to talk about that are significantly less trashy than my other favorite VH1 shows.

For The Love of Ray J: I only watched this off and on, but it seemed classier than the other Love shows. But the thing, or rather person, I want to talk about here is Danger. She fascinates me unlike any other "Of Love" contestant. She just seems to real, or rather raw. And maybe a tad crazy, but it's not a combo you tend to see in this world. Like when she was all "Yeah, I screwed Ray's friend" (which was, according to VH1 blog's interview with her, not actually the case). I mean, to use the show's term, Danger smashed the homie, but was completely open about it. You don't see that on these shows, with idiots (like Daisy from ROL2) or genuinely awesome people (like Ashley from ROLB) both hiding the fact that they still live with their exes. I would absolutely watch a Danger spin-off. Oh, and Fesity and Chardonnay were great too.

Free Radio: VH1's mostly unscripted comedy about an idiotic but popular morning radio DJ may actually be one of the funniest shows on TV. Lance (the moron)'s interactions with the real celebrity guests on the show are flat-out hysterical. His whole discussion with John Stamos about Stamos' ridiculous good looks but freak belly button was priceless. Don't take my word for it, check clips here. It's funnier to watch than hear described. Special shout out to Emo Sarah, the receptionist, who is always funny too.

Well, that's it for our trip through VH1's classier offerings. I'll be back later this week with the final "State of VH1" post about the upcoming televisual delights they are about to unleash on us.
blog comments powered by Disqus