Friday, May 22, 2009

Thoughts on the REAL Idol Finale

So, Kris won. Color me… surprised? I wouldn't say shocked. Unlike the judges, I didn't count him out. But I was definitely expecting Adam to win. But since Adam is basically guaranteed a record deal after the show, I'm not at all upset by the outcome of the show, unlike the spitting mad Adam fans who can be found on nearly every Idol message board. I actually feel that this outcome is better for both guys, although I feel bad for Kris having to release “No Boundaries” as his first singe. Poor guy.

But the Idol finale was as bloat as ever, and I'd call roughly half palatable. In a shocking turn of events, my favorite moment was courtesy of our 9th and 10th place finishers and a comedy icon. I LOVED the Steve Martin banjo number. It was sweet and simply melodic, fit Megan's voice best of anything she's sung on the show, and even Michael Sarver was actually pretty good. Since Wednesday, I've already listened to the original (featuring Vince Gill and Dolly Parton on vocals, a definite recommendation) like 10 times.

Most of the other performances were fairly forgettable. I enjoyed Kris and Keith Urban, but wished Kris had been paired with Jason Mraz instead. Adam with Kiss was not as good as Adam with Queen would have likely been. Looking back after Kris' win, though, “We Are The Champions” is actually really fitting, since they basically both won. Also, Simon's distinct lack of standing during Kris' victory reeked of douche. Not surprising, but still bears mentioning. So, yeah, all in all, a mixed bag of a finale. But when going into it I knew I was guaranteed to be happy with the outcome, I was perfectly fine with the mixed bag.
blog comments powered by Disqus