Monday, April 6, 2009

So, NBC Has Renewed SVU...

Sorry, NBC, but I have a question for you: What? I know SVU is your top-rated non-sports show. Obviously, from a business perspective, of course you are going to renew SVU. I'm actually a fan of the show, it's the only Law and Order I can stand (I'm a fan of the new Law and Order UK, too, but that's more because the lawyers have to wear silly wigs). But logistically, I have a question for you, NBC: What?

Sorry, but I just don't understand how SVU can fit into NBC's lineup with this new Leno thing. He is taking over the 10PM slot 5 nights a week. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but the 10PM timeslot allows for more ickiness (you know, things like rape and child molestation) than the 9PM timeslot. So how in the hell can a show like SVU, which is focused on really heinous (especially heinous, sorry) crimes, exist at 9? Is the show going to have to cut back on dealing with difficult issues like it does?

I understand that shows like CSI, Original Recipe exist in all their mostly gruesome glory at 9 PM. But CSI doesn't deal with topics like rape and child molestation in such a frank manner. The straightforwardness of it is part of the reason I watch SVU, it's a crime show that deals with the gruesome in a direct manner. But that sort of SVU can't exist at 9PM. So I don't get what NBC is doing. Maybe this is just me being angry at them for giving Jay Leno 5 nights a week to unleash his own little unfunny version of televisual misery. Maybe I'm just depressed because this is likely another nail in Chuck's coffin. But I'm just perplexed by this move creatively. On top of that, leads Meloni and Hargitay are some of the higher compensated actors on TV, and that this whole Leno thing was done to cut costs for NBC, SVU has gotta be kind of expensive to produce. Then again, neither lead has signed on to the new season yet, so maybe they are cutting it back. Can any of you think of a reason for its renewal, besides the ratings?
blog comments powered by Disqus