Sunday, April 5, 2009

You Should Be Watching Chuck

You know those shows, those shows that keep getting better and better and yet get no love from critics AND not a big enough audience? Yes you do, don’t lie to me. What do you mean you can’t think of any shows like that? You’ve heard of Chuck, right? Yes? Well, then you have. And don’t tell me I’m putting words in your mouth.

Chuck, during its first season, was lots of fun, but fairly, and by fairly I mean heavily, formulaic. And yet, it still cracked my top 10. Twice. Now, nearing the end of its second and hopefully NOT final season, Chuck has been really, really hitting its stride. Don’t get me wrong, it IS still formulaic. But it’s also doing things that aren’t formulaic. I was hoping for more payoff on the Dark Intersect storyline (I haven’t given up hope, it’s gotta factor in somehow to the supposed season finale gamechanger, right?), but between that plotline, the whole Sarah and Chuck relationship, Chuck’s search for his dad AND his attempt to get the intersect out of his head (I’m guessing those last two are gonna dovetail), there’s a lot going on. Chuck, for being formulaic, is doing some really entertaining stuff outside its formula.

But besides that, Chuck has also turned into one of the best ensemble casts on all of TV. Zachary Levi has turned Chuck into more than just “Nerd who’s in way over his head”, into a full-blown hero. His chemistry with Yvonne Strahovski is starting to near going off the charts (not in the sizzle way, but in the sweet “can’t these crazy kids just get together way). I’m being fully honest when I say that they are quickly approaching Jim and Pam, my favorite TV couple. Adam Baldwin is awesome as always. Ryan McPartlin has turned what should have been a one-note character in Captain Awesome (aka Devon, Chucks brother-in-law to be) into possibly my favorite character on the show. Even Morgan, who I hated in the pilot and first season, has become mildly likeable.

So yeah, you should be watching Chuck. The plot is good, the cast is fantastic, its well written, and most importantly, its FUN. Fun is something that is missing from TV far too much nowadays. With NBC cutting 5 hours of programming next season to make room for Jay Crappo (look for a post on my feelings on that down the line, but can you guess what they are?), Chuck is in serious danger. Lets hope an upcoming episode is “Chuck vs. The Giant Chin” I’m rooting for Chuck.
blog comments powered by Disqus